- Associate Professor – photography
- +27 (0)21 650 7108
Jean Brundrit teaches photography as part of the Fine Art courses offered at Michaelis. She co convenes the undergraduate photographic courses with her colleague, Svea Josephy. Jean teaches students at all levels, from first year to post graduate. Her other student related activities centre around student support such as the student mentorship program.
Jean is a visual artist who works with photographic media. She has exhibited in South Africa and contributed to a number of international exhibitions. Her research interests are primarily concerned with exploring identity, specifically lesbian identity and strategies of visual representation within a South African context. She is a NRF Rated researcher.
Jean has a mild obsession with pinhole photography.
- ‘Speaking OUT: strategies of representing complex lesbian identities in South Africa’, a conference paper. Home/Land: women, citizenship and photographies. Loughborough University, U.K. 5 – 7 July 2012.
- ‘Process only: Photographs in advocacy for Deaf lesbians’, a conference paper. Wide Angle: Photography as public practice forum, WITS, Johannesburg. March 2011.
- ‘The Lesbian Lived Experience in South Africa’, a visual presentation. Lesbian Lives XVI: Representations of the Lesbian in Art, Culture and the Media. 13-14 February 2009, Women’s Studies Centre, School of Social Justice, University College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland.
- ‘Out of Site’, a solo exhibition at the AVA Gallery, Cape Town. 26 August – 19 September 2013 (View online).
- ‘At Sea’, a commissioned artwork exhibited on a billboard in the town of Loughborough, UK. Radar, Loughborough University Arts, Loughborough, UK. 12-25 November 2012. (View online)
- ‘Nature Study’, a solo exhibition at the AVA Gallery, Cape Town. 8 August – 2 September 2011. (Nature Study)
- ‘A lesbian story: an exhibition project by Jean Brundrit’. A group exhibition with contributions by Mmapaseka Letsike, Bongiwe Louw, Phumla Rose Masuku, Musa Ngubane, Zodwa Nkwinika, Nokuzola Raqola, Keba Sebetoane and Lizeka Tuswa . Association of Visual Arts, Cape Town. 21 April – 9 May 2008. / The Out in Africa Gay and Lesbian Film Festival lounge, Kilarney Mall, Johannesburg. 4 – 14 September 2008.